Investigation into US Capitol attack to move forward with new witnesses, Cheney says

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) – The panel investigating the January 6, 2021 assault on the U.S. Capitol plans to push its investigation further in the coming weeks, interviewing other members of Donald Trump’s cabinet and his campaign, as well as US Secret Service members, the committee’s vice chairman said Sunday.

“We’re not done yet,” Rep. Liz Cheney, one of two Republicans on the U.S. House of Representatives select committee, told CNN’s “State of the Union.”

In eight hearings over six weeks with testimony from former White House officials and Trump associates, the panel painted the former president as responsible for the attack on the Capitol in an effort to stay in power. after his defeat in the 2020 election. The hearings also highlighted efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn the election results.

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

The committee has yet to decide whether to refer Trump’s criminal conduct to the US Justice Department, Cheney said, “but it’s absolutely something we’re looking into.”

Cheney said testimony from Trump aides opened the door to new evidence as other members of the administration came forward. The committee also continues to request an interview with Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, about her role in Trump’s efforts to void the election and may subpoena her if necessary, Cheney said.

Cheney said the panel will look into the Secret Service’s deletion of text messages, adding that the agency has not shown the kind of cooperation expected.

“The extent to which there are no text messages from the relevant period, the extent to which we have not had the kind of cooperation that we really need, these are all things that the committee will examine in more details in the coming weeks,” Cheney said in a separate interview on “Fox News Sunday.”

Earlier this month, the committee subpoenaed the Secret Service, seeking text messages from January 5 and 6, 2021, as it investigated allegations by a watchdog that they had been erased.

The Secret Service had said data from some phones had been lost during a system migration initiated before the watchdog’s request. He gave some records to the panel on Wednesday and the committee said it wanted more data. Read more

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by James Oliphant and Kanishka Singh; Editing by Tim Ahmann and Daniel Wallis

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Leave a Comment