“I never received any direction or orders or had any knowledge of any plans of this nature,” Miller said in the video.
Miller later said in the video definitively, “There was no live, there was no order from the president.”
“We obviously had plans to activate more people, but it was nothing more than contingency planning,” Miller added. “There was no official message traffic or anything of that nature.”
Trump has previously said he has asked National Guard troops to be ready for Jan. 6. He released a statement on June 9 that he “suggested and offered” up to 20,000 National Guard troops to deploy to Washington, D.C., by January 6, saying it was because he felt “the crowd was going to be very numerous.”
The committee released Miller’s testimony after previously revealing that Trump did not call military personnel or law enforcement to intervene as the attack on the Capitol unfolded. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the committee he never received a call from Trump as the attack unfolded.
Milley told the committee he spoke to former Vice President Mike Pence “two or three” times on Jan. 6. Keith Kellogg, Pence’s former national security adviser, also told the committee that Trump never asked for a response from law enforcement.