Uvalde shooting: Robb primary school principal allowed to return to work after brief suspension, lawyer says



CNN

According to her attorney Ricardo Cedillo, Mandy Gutierrez, the principal of Robb Elementary School who was suspended with pay earlier this week, has been told she may return to work.

Gutierrez was placed on administrative leave Monday at a meeting of the Uvalde school board. The headmistress has been criticized for her handling of school security before the mass shooting that left 19 children and two teachers dead.

Cedillo provided CNN with a copy of the letter Gutierrez received Thursday from the division superintendent indicating that she could return to work on July 28, 2022, in an administrative capacity, that is, as a director.

“Thank you for responding to our request for information by submitting your response to the House Investigation Report. Following our review, you will be cleared to return to work on this date (July 28, 2022),” a writes Hal Harrell, superintendent of the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District.

“As we discussed today, by mutual agreement, you will continue to serve the District in an administrative capacity. Thank you for assisting us as we go through the transition,” Harrell wrote.

CNN has reached out to the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District for comment.

Javier Cazares, whose daughter was killed in the mass shooting, called the director’s return to work a “slap in the face”, referring to the victims and their parents.

“As a manager she should have made sure the school was safe and she failed in her job,” said Cazares, whose daughter Jacklyn was 9.

“It shows you how Uvalde works. They will do anything to protect themselves and forget about the children,” Cazares told CNN. “Nobody wants to be responsible for their actions and inaction, and that makes me sick.”

Cedillo said his client was not looking for justification.

“She was just looking to be allowed to continue her efforts to help with the healing process for families in the community she loves,” Cedillo said Friday.

“She understands and respects that the grieving process can involve anger. It’s a natural reaction and she respects and sympathizes with everything those affected are going through. She prays for the strength to focus on the healing process which will be prolonged and likely never-ending,” Cedillo said.

Principal’s reinstatement comes after an exclusive interview with CNN on Wednesday in which Gutierrez defended his actions in the May 24 shooting.

“I feel like I did the training I was given to the best of my abilities,” she said when asked if she thought she should lose her job. “And I’m going to question myself for the rest of my life.”

During the interview, she took issue with criticism leveled at her in the Texas House Board of Investigation report – which alleged the school had a culture of non-compliance with safety policies, that Wi- Irregular Fi could have delayed the shooter’s active lock and that she failed. to use the intercom system to alert the campus.

Gutierrez wrote a letter to the Texas House Investigative Committee and the district on Wednesday defending her actions, saying the allegations against her were “unfair and inaccurate.” Gutierrez also said she went through her training that day and wanted to get her job back. CNN obtained a copy of Cedillo’s letter.

Leave a Comment