Woman begins firing gun at Dallas Love Field airport and is shot by officer, police say

A woman opened fire Monday morning at Dallas Love Field airport in Texas before being shot by an officer, police said. No one else was injured in the incident and the woman was being treated at a hospital, Dallas Police Chief Eddie Garcia told reporters at a news conference.

The woman arrived at the airport around 10:59 a.m., Garcia said. After going inside near the Southwest Airlines ticket office, she went to the bathroom, came out wearing different clothes, possibly a hoodie, and started shooting a handgun, Garcia said.

Police do not know where the woman was aiming, but Garcia said shots were fired at the ceiling and police recovered several bullets.

Police say an officer immediately engaged the suspect, who was shot in the lower limbs and taken into custody. She was taken to Parkland Hospital. No officers or travelers were injured in the gunfire.

Police identified the suspect as Portia Odufuwa, 37.

Footage taken by passengers and airport staff shows when the airport began lockdown procedures.

The airport is no longer confined.

An FAA spokesperson said en route Southwest planes were grounded following reports of the shooting. Flight operations for the airport were temporarily suspended, but airport officials later confirmed that operations had resumed. Anyone passing through the airport today was encouraged to check with their airline for the latest updates on their flights and status, officials said.

Southwest Airlines said 69 of its flights were canceled due to the incident and it plans to resume normal operations at 6 p.m. CT.

After the incident, the TSA said the airport was new selection all travelers through a security checkpoint, which was expected to increase wait times.

“Understand that this will take time, so be patient as the number of passengers at the checkpoint has just increased exponentially,” a TSA spokesperson said. said on Twitter.

On Twitter, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said federal officials were closely monitoring the shooting. “Thank you to all the first responders on site who are working to keep travelers safe,” he said.

Emergency responders converge near the main airport entrance to Dallas Love Field in Dallas on July 25, 2022.
Emergency responders converge near the main airport entrance to Dallas Love Field in Dallas on July 25, 2022.

AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

Wylie, Texas police later confirmed the shooting suspect was arrested in 2019 for allegedly attempting to rob a bank. In that incident, they said she passed a note to a cashier asking for money and then fled on foot before being arrested.

Leave a Comment